The Bolshevik Reboot Comes for Dr. Seuss

The grand march towards a utopian society of perfect diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging has uncovered another transgressor of the progressive, postmodern catechism. It is none other than beloved children’s author Theodor Gesiel, more famously known as Dr. Seuss. From CNBC:

Six Dr. Seuss books — including “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street” and “If I Ran the Zoo” — will stop being published because of racist and insensitive imagery, the business that preserves and protects the author’s legacy said Tuesday.

“These books portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong,” Dr. Seuss Enterprises told The Associated Press in a statement that coincided with the late author and illustrator’s birthday.

“Ceasing sales of these books is only part of our commitment and our broader plan to ensure Dr. Seuss Enterprises’ catalog represents and supports all communities and families,” it said.

The other books affected are “McElligot’s Pool,” “On Beyond Zebra!,” “Scrambled Eggs Super!,” and “The Cat’s Quizzer.”

As it happens, despite having read tens of Dr. Seuss books , I don’t ever recall reading one of the six listed here. I’m sorely tempted to buy them, but my bibliophile budget is already accounted for.

While I want to appreciate (no, I don’t)  the proactive attempts by the Seuss Enterprise group to purge the library of books that may be genuinely offensive, I have a problem with this move. I actually have several problems with it,  but this is my primary contention:

Once you open the door of credibility to any assertion that Dr. Seuss was racially insensitive, which in 2021 is tantamount to grand wizardry in the KKK, you give a house key to the racial witch hunters of our day. There is no absolution being offered for good people who just happened to be born in 1904, a time when everyone’s attitudes were offensive when compared to post modern norms, including many black people’s attitudes. To do this is to paint with a broad, hard-bristled brush, and Dr. Seuss deserves better than that.

Wasn’t it just a short time ago, I mean in real time not Internet time, that the Obama’s were praising Dr. Seuss? Was not even the Cat in the Hat a guest in the Obama white house just a few short years ago? Why, yes. Yes, he was!

I’m not exactly sure who all these super sensitive, thin-skinned minorities are. Who are these people, simpletons who can’t discern between and appreciate generational divides, changing mores, and the reality that people who were born in 1904 are necessarily different from people born in 1984?

But if you are among them, I am very happy not to know you.

And stop picking on Dr. Seuss. My 25-year-old daughters learned their letter sounds from Dr. Seuss’s ABC. That’s a memory I’d not have tarnished by your stupidity.

9 thoughts on “The Bolshevik Reboot Comes for Dr. Seuss

I’ve got to admit that I’m curious about what was so offensive. I think the one from “Mulligan St.” was a picture of a person with asian features and a coolie hat and such–which of course was common back in the day. It’s hardly like the caricatures of blacks that one saw decades ago, if I remember right.

I am waiting for National Geographic to be cancelled soon, because the pages of their magazines from years back are photographic proof that people did indeed wear things like braids and coolie hats.

2. professorGBFMtm2021 says:

ELSPETH
    Are they going to try to ban the 1931’s FRANKENSTEIN&the ’35 bride & ’39 son sequel films also?That has BORIS KARLOFF from ’66’s the evil ”THE GRINCH that stole christmas” toon as narrator in it!But remember I was born a few years after 1904 and a handful+years before’84 with all these changing generations,mores&reality before&after during those times while PEEPING&HIDING with LENNON(In’75)&RICHARD(In early ’56)!P.S.SAM been watching the IRON EAGLE films with ole’LOU GOSSETT JR.?(Remember him on that early JEFFERSONS episode where GEORGE JEFFERSON thought he was after mother JEFFERSON?(George thought he was a 79 year old knock out fan apparently, it seems right?)ELSPETHP.S.Still enjoying these WARM&SUNNY winters in florida, kid?

3. elspeth says:

It’s all nuts, Bike.

You remember the book he wrote about the sneetches with stars and the ones without? That book couldn’t have been any more explicitly against racism unless he’d done away with the metaphor altogether and just said it directly.

And yet, they denigrate his legacy, basically, for being born and living during a less politically correct time. Meanwhile:

Gracious hostess: :^). I must confess that I also looked up what was so wrong with his book If I ran the Zoo, and my experience with the yellow magazine came in handy there, too. The people with “African” features, grass skirts, and hair bound above their heads are actually found in Papua New Guinea (and other remote Pacific islands) to this day. Not that the modern Bolsheviks would learn or know the difference between Pacific islanders and people in Africa, of course.

The question then comes up; is it racist to portray people as they actually are? I guess it would be racist, or at least horrifically cruel, to kidnap Pacific islanders and put them as an exhibit in the zoo–and that was actually done about a century ago–but I don’t believe that any sane interpretation of Dr. Seuss’ work would suggest that.

5. danielwalldammit says:

“Once you open the door of credibility to any assertion that Dr. Seuss was racially insensitive, which in 2021 is tantamount to grand wizardry in the KKK, you give a house key to the racial witch hunters of our day. ”

Basic slippery slope fallacy.

Welcome, Daniel.
    Funny how often those of us who are more conservative are accused of “the slippery slope fallacy” as time marches on, we are eventually proven to have been 100% correct.

Regarding slippery slope, there is the fallacy, where it is a slippery slope of unconnected consequences. There is also a very real, and logically valid, slippery slope whereby there are connected logical consequences to a change in governing principle.

Slippery slope fallacy: if I stop shining my shoes, pretty soon hillbillies are going to be brewing shine in my back yard.

Slippery slope verity: if we decide that any representation of other races or cultures in Dr. Seuss amounts to racism, we are likely to see just about anything as racism.

Put differently, the fallacy of slippery slope lies not in the question of whether there might or might not be a slippery slope, but rather in the question of whether the stimulus and responses are logically connected.

Exactly, Bike. Funny how quickly people quip, ‘Slippery Slope Fallacy!” as if the very idea of one thing leading to another is somehow fallacious when this is exactly how the world works. I can’t even with these leftists.