Friday Faves: Just a Short Update

How are you guys doing out there? You staying sane in the midst of our collective national push to practice social distancing? I thought I’d take a minute to talk about what life is looking like for us during this season.

Where we live, large swaths of the state are under some kind of stay at home order. Some are more strict than others, but most everyone has guidelines to adhere to. Because of that, we’re -obviously- spending a lot more time at home. We still get out for walks, jogs and the occasional bike rides, and we buy groceries like milk and eggs as needed (we’re pretty well stocked on the non-perishables). Other than that, we’re not getting out much, although a few of us are in jobs considered “essential” for various reasons. So there are family members heading out and returning home each day. We’ve maintained our health and our sanity, for which we are quite grateful. So what are we doing with all this extra time? By way of home projects (since thankfully home improvement and gardening places are still open):

• Building new garden beds, and doing other backyard projects.
  • Cleaning out the garage (on the to-do list for the next week)
  • Clearing out the file cabinet (a hellish job if ever there was one!)
  • Reorganizing cabinets and bureaus.

On the literary and education front:

• We’re already technically homeschoolers, despite the fact that most of our kids’ academic courses are supported by outside class time. So our kids have been doing several classes online using Zoom meeting platforms as I continue my usual role as supporter and facilitator.
  • I’m reading a lot when we’re not working on home stuff. Currently reading A.W. Tozer, a writer who requires a fair amount of prayerful concentration. I’ve spent the last 36 hours -when I can manage a private moment- trying to discern what it is I really believe about God; deep down in my soul, and not just from all the Bible verses I’ve memorized.
  • Cooking and baking, of the paleo variety. Except I need to remember that cookies made with almond flour and sweetened with coconut sugar aren’t magically calorie-free!  The flour was wiped out at my local grocer (I wasn’t looking for it I just noticed), and I’ve since learned that women are getting into baking bread and stuff since they’re stuck at home. That, in my opinion, is very cool.
  • Working on my side hustle. You might remember that I acquired a certification last year from my Local U. I figured since I’ve been forced off my normal suburban mom rate race treadmill, I may as well put the time into drumming up some coin out of it. Requires a fair amount of -again- ability to concentrate, so I’m not making much headway there.
  • Sewing. My daughter and  I are gearing up to make skirts. I’m not the greatest seamstress, but I really want to fit this into the time that is available to us right now.
  • And lastly, writing. That’s all I say about that because it is very slow going right now.

This list is composed partially of works in progress and partly ambitions of things I hope to do over the next two weeks.

The theme of this season for me, right now, is learning to be content, and preparing for the possibility of a very different world when this is done. The possibility that our lives will change materially, culturally, and politically is a possibility we would all do well to prepare for. so that’s what I am doing in addition to striving to be productive during this time, since productivity, along with prayer, also staves off panic and worry. Panic and worry help no one.

So…what’s life looking like for you guys?

11 thoughts on “Friday Faves: Just a Short Update

1. nellperkins says:

DH is now doing without pain medicine. A hard road but managed to sleep through the night last night. I always thought that if everything went nuts like this I’d at least have him to help me but as it is I’m planting a garden, prepping emergency drinking water, moving dirt, pushing & pulling very heavy things all alone and praying praying praying that he recovers.

Kentucky’s governor has advised Kentuckians to avoid unnecessary travel to TN. One North Carolina county has closed its border with TN. Our county has seen no deaths from COVID but the suicide rate is spiking – nine people in one week. Lord have mercy on us.

Our adult daughter, who has a chronic disease and a job in a Dollar General which she has worked heroically through retail madness, now has suspected COVID-19 and is quarantined at least until her test comes back. The friend who is so kindly watching her for us reported this morning that she is improving. Thank you Lord!

I’m baking bread every three or four days. I have a freezer full of scuppernongs (wild green grapes) I’ve needed to turn into nectar since last August, but between caring for DH, cooking, and working from home I still haven’t done it. When everyone else was freaking out and buying toilet paper, I was smug about my preps and got all those library books instead. I’ve been so busy that I’m still working on my first one, Sense and Sensibility. Keep well. Know that total strangers like you.

Keeping on keeping on… as noted previously 3/3 over 18s in my house work at least PT in “essential industries”. Bosslady is loaning me to the warehouse for a few days next week, so I have to go buy some jeans and some shirts I don’t mind wearing with jeans (Hi Target).

I’m feeling VERY stressed over the methods in place to keep us apart when I go out shopping. I’m going to be taking more care with my self-care (lots of sewing for moi!) in the coming weeks.

These are trying times, nellperkins. I’ve said a prayer for you and your family.

You seem to have girded up your mind to do the hard things. For that you are to be commended.

I imagine if you’re retired your life hasn’t changed much, smk.

We are still in the thick of a lot of things around here. But we’re keeping the faith.

At this point, having been told that 2020 was a year of change, and that *I* was going to be changed, and seeing how things have gone, I think I should stop wriggling and just pop some popcorn and see where things go…

THAT would take a lot of internal change, yes it would! :p But it remains to be seen what God will do. I’ll be interested to find out who I am by 2021 or 2022.

But we’re keeping the faith.

Heh 3rd week in a row we’ve missed mass on bishop’s orders…not sure ever happened before. So defiantly NOT keeping the faith here :-).

About to leave to go to church to record teaching for the mentoring group. We usually meet on the first Saturday of the month. Not this month! Thank God for tech.

If interested, I feel like Pastor Dan really hit this week’s sermon out of the park.

8. nellperkins says:

We still don’t know what was our daughter’s sickness but she is recovering quickly now.

DH is also getting better. Actually eating and drinking the past two days. The entire situation was terrifying.

Thanks be to God! And thank you so much for your prayers.

9. Curly Sue says:

Our governor issued a “stay-at-home” order and shut down non essential manufacturing, so I was laid off from work for a few weeks along with half my co-workers. They told us NOT to clean out our desks because they fully expect to call us back and they are still providing all of our benefits during the layoff, so that is good. My husband works at a hospital and still has his job.

I’m using the time to do projects around the house. And…a friend’s oldest son is graduating from high school this year and she asked me if I would be willing to make my chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches (his favorite) for the grad party. I said “Sure, how many?” She wants about 240! That’s 480 cookies, or about 40 dozen. I have until the end of May, but I figured now is a good time to get those knocked out and I can stash them in our large freezer in the basement.