Eggs are expensive. Sperm is cheap

eggs are expensive

Eggs Are expensive. Sperm is cheap: 50 Politically Incorrect Thoughts for Men, Kindle edition, by Greg Krehbiel. Published n 2014. 94 pages.

It just took me a grand total of one hour and 45 minutes to read this book, so it’s pretty short. I have heard the titular expression several times, but was unfamiliar with any book with this title. I learned of it after stumbling upon this article by Doug Wilson in which it was referenced. The book was far less expensive than eggs or sperm, and so I grabbed a cheap download and read it just a bit ago.

The basic premise, with which I fully agree, is that what our postmodern culture brands sexism is actually the recognition of human nature, common sense, and God-given sexual hard wiring for our survival and human flourishing. It’s a necessary good, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with pointing out that men and women are fundamentally different, thrive in different capacities, and are best served by the acknowledgment and acceptance of these realities.

There isn’t much more to it than that, broken down into 50 bullet point thoughts to organize the author’s points. The examples are worth considering; on everything from the privilege of male children in China to the “oppression” of women prior to 1920 when the 19th Amendment to the Constitution was passed. One example in particular that is worth considering is the ongoing fight for female equality in the armed forces:

Another example is warfare. If you understand the fundamental math (eggs are expensive and sperm is cheap) you understand why it makes perfect sense to have men fight the wars. Nature seems to understand that because it made the men physically equipped for the task. But somebody who is an absolute genius at spin has convinced us all that this very fact — that it’s the men who have to fight and die in war — is now seen as oppression of women. It’s almost hard to write something so transparently stupid, but that’s the way people think nowadays.

The modern lie has taken hold so completely that up to this moment you probably saw it that way. You probably saw the exclusion of women from various roles in the military as a left-over of pro-male prejudice. You may have thought, “Why can’t a woman go fight if she wants to?” And there you have the female imperative. “If she wants to.” The man might be drafted against his will and sent off to fight and die in a war a thousand miles away from everyone he loves for a cause he doesn’t believe in. But the woman gets to choose if she wants to fight, and the entire military structure has to be retooled and reorganized to accommodate her preference.

There is a lot to be said about the subject of this book, and unless any of us are willing to think critically, outside  the box, and consider another perspective if only as a thought experiment, no consensus will be reached. I didn’t agree with everything in the book. As is often the case when I read secular books on this subject, I like to see more credence given to the transcendent, even when I have no reason to expect such.

Krehbiel is far more right than wrong on all 50 of his counts, so it’s worth a read whether you’re male or female. The second half is mostly advice for men, but most of it -not all of it- was decent advice. I arrived at that conclusion from observing my own husband, not because of any inbred authority on the subject of manhood.

One thing is true, no matter what side of the argument you come down on. Mr Krehbiel is right absolutely about this:

The modern approach to sex doesn’t build a culture. It doesn’t harness the energy of the young man’s sex drive to make young men into responsible, useful members of society. It also fails to maximize women’s potential as wives and mothers. It is, in short, destroying civilized society. For the time being, our society is living off the borrowed capital of previous generations. A couple more generations of the modern way, and we’ll be in full-bore idiocracy.

This is a book that hits all the pertinent notes in a concise, no nonsense way and does it without being coarse or vulgar. Totally worth a read, even if all it does is make you think.

4 out of 5 stars

10 thoughts on “Eggs are expensive. Sperm is cheap

…men have to fight and die in war is now seen as oppression of women.

This isn’t crazy, but logical as <<2.1 children/woman by choice means society has a vast, vast surplus of eggs walking around (like sperm). Women intuitively know this and with most in the workforce functionally merit at least partial male status (pro & con). Sure, they can't compete well, but they are making it work the best they can. First-world problems via Gen 1:28:-)…

2. Robyn says:

This sounds awesome, I think I’ll give it a read.

“For the time being, our society is living off the borrowed capital of previous generations. A couple more generations of the modern way, and we’ll be in full-bore idiocracy.”

Once that capital runs out, we’ll see just how (and fast) horribly wrong it will go.

I didn’t? I’ll try again: “God: “Be fruitful & multiply”. US Women: F-you!. Jesus: “each tree not bearing good fruit is thrown into fire.”. QED.

Ah… I see. Except it’s not just U.S. women. Check birthrates in Japan and among native Europeans.

Where there is a robust, prosperous culture, there is a majority of people deciding that there are far too many more enjoyable and less costly things to do with their life than having children.

Except it’s not just U.S. women…Japan…Europeans.

Sure. But Japanese culture is not Christian, and I’m simply not educated on feminism angst in Europe. Note I stay silent not because I think Europe is great, I just don’t know or understand European culture.

@ smk: Happy Thanksgiving!

I understand what you’re saying. I just think the fertility developments worldwide are indicative of human nature, and that the similar trajectory of the vastly different cultures referenced (U..S., Europe, Japan) highlights that fact.

Lower fertility, lower marriage rates, less and smaller family formation. The one thing all three have in common are a relatively high levels of material comfort.

I think we can acknowledge that people from different ethnicities and cultures are different without pretending that they are all so different that no lessons can be learned about human nature in aggregate by comparing them.

We Christians do all read the same Bible…all around the world! (yeah, yeah, I know about the additional books included in the Catholic Bible, LOL).

fertility worldwide indicative of human nature. Sure. AKA “sin”.
    vastly different cultures highlight. Sure. Sin is universal. AKA “original”.

I’m truly unsure of your point; I’m not being obstinate. The only point(s) I can conjure that make sense with your comment: 1. It’s human nature so it’s cool? 2. Even historic Christians (RC, EO) do it so they are no longer bound by Church/bible? 3. Prots re-interpreted Gen 3:15/1 Tim 2:15?/Ps 127:3 so no big deal?

No matter what, my reply would be: A) Not “everyone” is “doing it”. B) I am not ashamed of the gospel. C) On this issue, I don’t even need the Church/bible to know the truth as per Rom 1:20. I’m a sinner, but I’m not so far gone I reject God’s greatest gift and even many pagans still agree.

Um no. It’s not cool. Not my point at all.

I was simply noting that U.S. women are far from the only ones saying FU to the imperative to “be fruitful and multiply”.

Your added assertion that even pagans agree strengthens my point, actually. Natural law is written in our DNA.

But at the end of the day, I think we are genuinely misunderstanding each other this time.

Not sure how it went awry though.