Friday Faves: Auditory Enrichment

One of the things I have been doing over the past several months is listening to podcasts while I work. These are comprised of various types of listening; from sermons to news and politics, some informative broadcasts and also educational encouragement. Podcasts have evolved into my first option for engaging the mind and contemplating ideas. They are, for me, more cognitively enriching than reading articles online.

I still have a list of favorite, friendly blogs but overall, I find podcasts more enjoyable. I can listen to several while my kids are in school (they go to school a couple of days a week) and still get lots of household tasks accomplished.

I’ll confess that I’ve wondered if the trading of screen time for podcasts is tantamount to exchanging Cheetos for Smartfood, but decided that since I get a lot more done listening than while indulging other forms of distraction, the podcasts are here to stay for a bit. I listen to random podcasts on occasion but have subscribed to eight, in particular, and I listen to these regularly. This Friday Fave will highlight my current favorite podcasts. I installed the Castbox app on my phone, which makes it much easier for me to see when my favorites have a new episode as well as dig around for others that might be interesting.

Here, in no particular order, are the podcasts I subscribe to along with a little bit about why I enjoy each one.

Proverbial with Joshua Gibbs: This one is a part of the Circe podcast network. Unsurprisingly to anyone who has read here for any length of time, this is my favorite of the three Circe podcasts on the list.  In his podcast, Gibbs “explores the wisdom of the ages as it comes to us in proverbs, by which [he] means wise sayings a man may live by if he’s not so arrogant as to think himself special”.  He opens every weekly episode with that quote, and I have yet to tire of it.

The Commons: Part of the Circe Institute’s podcast network, The Commons is thoroughly focused on topics related to Christian classical education. It helps me to remember why we have chosen the education path we’ve chosen. Especially when the road seems hard.

Ask Andrew: Ask Andrew is also offered through the Circe Podcast network. In it, Andrew Kern asks specific educational questions that Circe readers submit. Again, Circe is dedicated to Christian classical education.

The Candace Owens Show: I really enjoy listening to this young commentator who covers a range of topics from a thoughtful, countercultural, unapologetically conservative perspective. She always has interesting guests, too.

Voddie Baucham via SermonAudio: I have always enjoyed Voddie Baucham’s scripturally systematic, intellectual approach to teaching. I always learn new things and am challenged in new way by listening to him.

Primal Blueprint: This is a podcast produced by Mark Sisson, author of Mark’s Daily Apple.  He doesn’t always host the podcast, but it’s still chock full of good information about health and nutrition.

The Ben Shapiro Show: I hardly think I need to get into a lengthy description of this one. Almost everyone knows who Ben Shapiro is. He is so smart and intellectually honest that he manages to produce a hugely popular video show and podcast in spite of his rather annoying voice.  It took some time, but I got used to it. For the uninformed, he discusses the hot political topics and headlines of the day from a libertarian perspective.

The World and Everything In It: This is a daily news and issues podcast that reports and analyzes from an explicitly Christian perspective. Somehow, they manage to do it in a way that doesn’t feel like proselytizing. They are thoughtful, honest, and balanced.

The Way I Heard It: Mike Rowe’s amazing voice and stellar storytelling ability combine to offer uncommonly known insights into people and events most of us are familiar with. His website describes it as “a series of short mysteries for the curious mind with a short attention span”. Yep. It sounds like a podcast for me!

Those are the eight podcasts I am subscribed to and listen to on a semi-regular basis. Some of these I listen to more consistently than others, of course. Now on to the important question:

What are some of your favorite podcasts and which ones do you think I might enjoy but haven’t yet heard about?

Have a great weekend!

15 thoughts on “Friday Faves: Auditory Enrichment

I agree . Although I usually only listen to podcasts for a month or so until he’s boring and has nothing new to offer. I also only do podcasts when I run, the rest of the time I listen to Kindle books TTS. This is a dream! I probably wouldn’t do many podcasts if I could get Kindle books on a small device to TTS. Unless Ron Unz did a podcast; I could never exhaust that genius!

Ben Shapiro…is so smart and intellectually honest
    I about passed out reading this…I’m going to follow my mother’s advice here…

I can’t really do books via audio. Not sure why, but my mind wanders when I try, unless and ONLY unless, I’m in the car. My husband can do audio books just fine. It is far and away his preferred method of reading.

As for Shapiro, I know a lot of people dislike him. There are times I dislike him and I don’t listen to every podcast of his the way I do Joshua Gibbs’ or Mike Rowe’s. And it’s not only because his whiny voices is a hard pill comapred to their two rich baritone voices. LOL.

Speaking of Gibbs: I was just listening to his latest installment as I was finishing up a few things after lunch and honestly, it wasn’t as engaging to me as the previous 4 installments (it’s a new podcast). But then…right near the end, in the last 10 minutes he twisted in a way that nearly brought me to tears. I cannot WAIT for my husband to come home so I can share it with him. It wasn’t anything new as far as ideas go, but it was the way he put it.

I read very few things online that make me think the way listening to the ideas dissected in some podcasts make me think. And I’m spared the temptation and torment of the average combox.

Voddie Baucham, like Ravi Zacharias and Mike Rowe, would be pleasant to listen to while reading the phone book. But tellsssss usss…. do you have a source for new material? You so seldom here new since he moved to Africa. If you know where there’s new stuff, share please.

I was listening to Shapiro – and still listen to the weekend show – but have cut back because I realized that my heavy political news intake wasn’t making me a better person. Maybe after the 2020 elections.

Rubin, yes. Depending on his guest. Again, too much politics is bad for Hearthums.
    I like (youtube) Appalachia’s Homestead w/Patara. Mostly because I like her, I don’t want to deal with chickens.

I like to *watch* world’s strongest man stuff, but it’s usually something one watches. It’s a bit like coming back to HS. “Ah. Large mammals. I am safe now”.

4. theorangutanlibrarian says:

Great post! I listen to podcasts on and off. I haven’t listened to Candace Owens much, but I like her style and she does have some great guests! I listen to Shapiro on occasion as well- it doesn’t matter if I agree with him or not, he has such a great mind and insight (even if that’s just to get a different perspective). I don’t listen to too much politics anymore, kinda does my head in a bit.

I agree. Voddie Baucham would sound good reading a phone book, LOL.Twin A agrees as well.

There isn’t as much new stuff from him since he moved to Africa. I think Sermon Audio puts up about every month or so, but I sometimes listen to some of his really old stuff that I haven’t listened to in years. I can be a re-listener kind of the way that you are a re-reader.

Husband and I sometimes watch the world’s strongest man competitions and simiar stuff. It’s really fascinating!

Too much politics is bad for anyone I think. I catch Shapiro about once a week. I can’t listen to hum more often than that even though he broacasts daily according to my app. Not only is it too much politics, he speaks about 1000 words a minute, LOL.

@ theorangutanlibrarian:

Thanks for commenting! I really enjoy your blog by the way. I don’t read as much fiction, but I thoroughly enjoy you analysis and engaging way of reviewing books.

I can appreciate the caution with regards to limiting political exposure. Too much is too much. I admire your willingness to listen to competing perspectives. Not many people seem able to do that these days.

Thanks for the compliment and for taking a minute to comment.

@smk: Dave Rubin? Good communicator but not bright so boring (like Peterson/Rush/Shapiro/Instapundit/Dreher/Prager/O’Reilly/etc.). Plus all the gay baggage. Bright communicators (Unz/Sailer/Derb) exist but rarely podcast plus politics soon bore. I listen to medical podcasts (dumb but docs have empirical data long before it hits books).

Ah. So you only like the commentators who are willing to shock. I don’t mind the guys you mentioned -they can be astute and insightful- but they occasionally rub me the wrong way.

I agree that too much politics is not only boring but unhelpful, which is why despite his daily uploads I only check in on Shapiro about once a week. The education podcasts are much more my thing. Which is why there are three of them listed 😬.

And Mike Rowe, who I’d listen if he was reading the phone book…

Naw, my focus is just truth, not shock. Our era is just when many scientific truths are being discovered for the first time (much like the Greeks were the philosophical truth era of Aristotle, and Rome followed with the theological truths led by Aquinas). Sadly, the guys I worship for their loyalty to truth today I doubt know much philosophy or theology because it’s not our era. But I don’t hold it against them.

@smkoseki:

I am committed to truth as well. However, raw factual data which makes no allowances for divine revelation or the power of redemption falls short of my understanding of truth.

Is that kind of information useful? Yes. Can it be instructive? Most definitely. But when weighed against the ultimate Source of big “T” truth, the most crucial element is missing.

I’m just not tribal, so ignorance on any particular issue doesn’t bother me from learning from anyone. I take what I can get. Take a true genius like Unz; he must be a full SD beyond me and has taught me a LOT I was too dim to figure out myself. But truth is truth and cannot be hidden; once anyone draws the curtain back the truth is suddenly blatantly obvious, no doubts. Like relativity; when first learning it’s bizarre, yet now I actually can’t imagine any other way to make the universe work out logically. There is zero doubt; I can’t un-see it. God clearly did it that way. And Unz, he’s probably a materialist atheist! God seems very clever doling out the precious gift of faith and it could have been me left without this gift…so I’m going to remain respectfully silent. God has his plans for each person. I’m just happy for the privilege to serve.

OTOH many close friends are so dumb it’s painful to even converse to the point even my low-IQ teens go wide-eyed over for dinner convo…some even don’t believe in evolution due to some arrogant interpretation of Genesis they think God must be beholden to. But I never rub the firmament in their face! In summary: I may be a fool, but not fool enough to point out the folly of others when my ocean of folly is layed out for all to see. Heck, maybe 5% of the universe can be framed in logical analysis and the vast majority of Truth falls forever in the “unprovable” category…or as St. Paul would say, we see through a glass, darkly. So I try (but mostly fail) to not to make too big a fool of myself by focusing on the irrational thoughts of my fellow men. Heck, some are even, gasp, Protestant! 😉

This is 100% true for me as well. I’m not sure what I may have said which indicated otherwise.

I don’t believe the gift of my faith makes me better than Unz or anyone else. I’m certainly not smarter or anything even approaching genius. I know all too well that my faith was granted as a merciful act of grace (I sure as heck don’t deserve it!) and I don’t believe that Unz is exempt from it either so long as he draws breath. You seem to be putting words in my mouth. I’m going to return the favor and suggest that you think I discount Unz’s truth because of my race, but you’d be wrong.

Any truth that omits Divine revelation is missing a crucial element, including any truth that falls from my own lips or pen. I’m well aware that I am subject to making the same mistakes. Is what it is.It’s not meant to “point out the folly of others when my ocean of folly is layed out for all to see”. I was very clear that there is useful and instructive information to be drawn from people like Unz

One thing I have learned, however, is that if I hold myself as an authority on anything pertaining to human beings made in God’s image, I had darn sure better be careful to remember exactly what you said: “God has his plans for each person.”