Friday Fave: Most Ironic Attempt at Satire Ever

In honor of International Women’s Day, a group called T.W.A.T.S. (The Women Against Tiredness Society) attempts to mock housewives.

Unfortunately, or not depending on your perspective, all they do is make the life of a housewife look extremely appealing. I laughed.

Enjoy and have a great weekend!

h/t: Sanne

6 thoughts on “Friday Fave: Most Ironic Attempt at Satire Ever

I’m not sure how this was supposed to bolster the feminist morale of working women, but it falls so, so short.

One quibble: sex once a month? Not only does it leave me incredulous that a husband would be okay with that, but it doesn’t sound like a fulfilling marriage for a wife either.

Thought I would be remiss not to mention that.

Aw it’s just a little humor.

But like all good humor there must be a cultural “uneasiness” at the root of the laugh. And of course here it’s the role of women today & their economic value outside of the workplace.

Root of this humor? 99% of women of the West lack meaningful homemaking skills, or are even part of a real community/culture/extended family that allows for a great life, and thus they have little value in the role anymore. And are mostly fat & depressed to boot…we see this best in the decline of family size, & since children/family the the #1 value women have to men/society/family. I’m not blaming women, the industrial foods we eat alone would be enough to seal the deal IMO as per https://www.amazon.com/Processed-Food-Addiction-Foundations-Assessment/dp/1498719961?tag=uuid10-20 .

In short, I did think it pretty funny…esp the once a month quip…but my humor is pretty dark πŸ™‚

@ SMK:

I thought it was funny, too!

It was quite funny and it was meant to be I believe. However, I don’t think it produced the intended effect, which was to make women feel superior for leaving the housewife thing in the dustbin of history and take the career world by storm.

I could be wrong about that, though…

Wow, I’m fairly socially obtuse, but I just assumed the intended effect was a “bemusement about feminism whilst mocking the idea of social progress. Without really taking sides, which I thought was the clever part. An objective humor that lets us take our own view. Sort of like Monty Python’s mocking of RC BC doctrine every sperm is sacred…mocking for sure but with an acknowledged dread of there is some truth there.

You may be right. I understood (from the two European bloggers where I learned of the year old spot) that this was a BBC pro-feminist satire produced in honor of International Women’s Day.

In other words, there was supposed to be a hard left slant but somehow it didn’t quite make it.

6. bikebubba says:

If that’s from a feminist point of view, somebody seriously needs the gift of self-awareness. But that said, a quick Google search shows it in BBC3. OK, somebody seriously needs a mirror, so to speak.

Regarding “once a month”, either the young and single and promiscuous have it really bad, or they’re spoofing Victorian attitudes.