Feminist Baby: The Sequel

A while back, gripped by incredulity, I mentioned this book which I ran across while in Barnes and Noble, the Feminist Baby.

Because I was incredulous, it never occurred to me that such a silly book as Feminist Baby could evolve into a series of note, but apparently, it has. My incredulity is more symptomatic of how out of touch I am. This lately occurs more often than I realized, but I digress.

Feminist Baby is back, and finding her voice, no less:

Feminist Baby Finds Her Voice!

Feminist Baby is learning to talk
She says what she thinks and it totally rocks!
Feminist Babies stand up tall
“Equal rights and toys for all!”

Let’s disregard for the moment my sincere and well known problems with the ideology of feminism as a whole. This increase in political “literature” for toddlers combined with feminist “fashion” for toddlers (yes I’ve seen it in the flesh), raises a larger question for me, and it’s this:

With so many things in the larger culture encroaching on the innocence and wonder of childhood, why would anyone choose to read this to their toddler in lieu of real, living books which highlight wonder and beauty? How are children served by political indoctrination as early as possible?  In whose universe does a bull horn toting, equal rights clamoring baby belong aside the likes of:

Cover image - Goodnight Moon

Image result for the very hungry caterpillar

Image result for The Snowy Day

Image result for Madeline

Image result for If You Give a Mouse a Cookie

It doesn’t.

There will be time to infuse our kids with our political thoughts and ideologies. They’ll pick most of it by osmosis anyway. There’s no need to infect them with adult cares before they can even understand what they mean.

Real books never get old and they speak to us, young and old alike, across the generations.

Nonsense is only good for a fixed point in time, such as this nonsensical Feminist Baby series.

14 thoughts on “Feminist Baby: The Sequel

Yes, anyone who has parented a child can instantly appreciate the absurdity. Makes me wonder now if the author is a mother.

Then again, I suppose the book is supposed to be somewhat hyperbolic with regards to imagery. Use playful kid-friendly pictures while trying to infuse the importance of teaching girls to fight for their rights from an early age.

I suppose. Or something, lol…

-headdesk- The snark. There’s so much.

Okay, let’s speak more helpfully. Instead, let’s think of the incredible leg up we are giving our kids by not telling them that shouting is S.O.P. every time you’re the least inconvenienced. Hi, thanks for making my normal parenting superlative – without my changing anything!

My brother-in-law is going through a difficulty of the making of people like the author right now. He’s been pretty much, as far as I can tell, a dog on a chain for his wife for the past 24 years, and now he’s being “counseled” by a woman who thinks his problem is too much patriarchy–yes, Duluth model proponent, obviously. Pray for me as I interact with him–my reaction at this point is that his best course is that what his wife really needs is a good solid dose of patriarchy, but phrasing that in a way that will be heard is not easy.

I recall your mentioning your BIL in the past, and I’m sorry he’s still going through some stuff.

But advice? Of that, I have nothing seeing as I don’t know his wife personally. I do believe in the power of prayer, though, so I said one.

I don’t know much about the making of that author, though I suspect that the inclination to make sure your kid is a radical feminist from toddler-hood probably doesn’t bode well for her future husband. LOL…

Bike – maybe have him talk to his sister, your wife, and see how happy she is. “It’s so wonderful to have a strong man like Bike, he keeps me centered”. Learning some strength and solidity is a good step – probably the first step though is getting himself centered in Christ and then in his own shoes. The quiet strength of a wall is harder to object to than the more obviously forceful shades of male power.

And from everything you’ve written over the years, quiet strength and certitude are strong points in your character.

Thank you, Hearth. I was sincerely at a loss, or at least have a severe case of advice skittishness, LOL.

Quiet strength and certitude are perfect words to use. They are what I would use to describe my own husband. Of course, it has taken him kinda like…years, to get there. He definitely started out with overt male power, and certainly has no qualms about pulling rank should the need arise, but…

I think a lot of times when a guy is learning to be more assertive in his leadership role (or has only ever been an assertive, unapologetic guy) it’s hard not to be perceived as if he’s exerting overt male power -even if he really isn’t- when compared to what he was before i.e. “dog on a chain”.

Your advice is good, though. So again, thanks.

7. Robyn says:

I would encourage him to read (or send him links) to hyper-masculine information and/or youtube information.

As far as the books, I agree. she’s probably done very little practical mothering, if any at all. Anyone who has parented knows that kids don’t care about equality …but rather, FAIRNESS. It’s a totally different idea than the selfish and self-serving equality that feminism espouses.

Thanks, Robyn, for offering Bike some practical advice.

And you’re right that children, despite their immature natures, seem intuitively to appreciate that some people are better at some things than others, etc. It’s not until our indoctrination of entitlement kicks in that people learn to obsess over the fantasy of equality.

9. Robyn says:

“It’s not until our indoctrination of entitlement kicks in that people learn to obsess over the fantasy of equality.”

YES, “fantasy” …. I really like that! What a clear, CLEAR sign that when a person rails about ‘equality’ you are actually dealing with a self-centered and entitled (and probably immature) individual.

Update is promising, by the way. I’m challenging him to think through the whys of what he’s doing. Maybe he’ll get somewhere.

Glad to hear it. Wise counsel from someone whom a couple can see is getting it right, and loving one another through it all really is the BEST source of guidance. Good for you Bike, for taking the time and care to help your brother.