Keto Clarity

keto clarityKeto Clarity, by Jimmy Moore. Published in 2014. 256 pages.

A good friend of mine loaned me this book a couple of months ago and asked that I read it and tell her what I thought of it. Since I’d been toying off and on with the idea of “going keto” for quite some time, I was glad  to do it.

Incidentally, my friend is a very thin woman with no need to diet. Her interest in the subject was not motivated by weight loss but rather the numerous other health benefits which have been reported by people who have adopted a ketogenic approach to health and fitness.

For those unfamiliar with the term “ketogenic diet“, the idea is based on the premise that most carbs are bad for you, that our traditional way of thinking is wrong (namely, that we need extra glucose for our metabolism sake), and that a high -quality- fat, low carbohydrate diet is the best way for most carbohydrate addicted Americans to reset their metabolism and break the addiction to sugars and grains which is the real culprit behind our obesity/diabetes/heart disease ridden population.

I just started on this particular journey two weeks ago, so I haven’t reached a definitive conclusion on the matter itself. My purpose at this juncture is simply to review the book. The one thing I can say unequivocally is that over the past two weeks hunger between meals has been virtually non existent, as well as cravings. The jury is still out on pain relief, although I worked out my injured shoulder pretty hard this morning and the expected pain has no materialized. So far, so good. Now, to the book:

I liked it as an informational tool. I took some time to cross reference the information, read a few studies, and do the best I could as an amateur nutrition research sleuth to find out if there was anything here that was blatantly false or dangerous. I couldn’t find anything. Given that I long ago dismissed the notion of the “four food groups” as essential to good nutrition, I was careful to make allowances for my anti-grain bias.

The biggest misconception people have about keto, according to Moore, is that it is a high protein, meat gorging diet. In reality, too much protein is discouraged:

“There are three reasons why people fail to reach a ketogenic state: too many carbohydrates, too much protein, or not enough fat.”

The fats are of course, high quality fats: avocados, coconut or olive oil, butter (preferably grass fed), nuts, etc. Meats are a small part the equation, and it’s one of the things that distinguishes keto from paleo, although they are closely related. The biggest difference is that keto discourages heavy consumption of starchy fruits and vegetables such as bananas and potatoes.

The bottom line according to the authors -and I was convinced of this before I ever encountered this book-  is that sugars and many grains are inflammatory to the body and to be strictly limited. This plan however, isn’t for every one and while I think the book is very useful for informative purposes, my endorsement of it is not a recommendation that the readers embark on a ketogenic lifestyle.

It is without question in my mind, better than the standard SAD; including wheat based products.

Grade: B-

Content advisory: This post is not meant to be received as medical advice or endorsement of any kind. Read the book for yourself, and talk to our doctor if you have any other questions.

25 thoughts on “Keto Clarity

The one thing I “cheat” on is almond flour baked goods, LOL. The baker in me cannot help it. Made this for Sunday dessert (with 2/3 maple instead of the allotted amount):

I aso modified the topping with far, far less sweetener -like a tablesppon of maple with cream cheese and a bit of whipped cream.

It was good…and that’s definitive when the man says so.

Not sure if I’m not going to end up reverting to paleo since i restarted my running/lifting program this week. Three funerals in 6 weeks had me pretty much depleted physically and emotionally but I need to get back to self care. The man agrees.

We shall see where I ultimately land. Jo wanted my thoughts on the book and after reading it I decided to give a whirl.

I just need to find some iron self-control and exercise it when I get the floury stuff DH wants while I stay primal. Do that, the weight comes off. Succumb to the donuts, and it all goes south. All of it. -sigh- Not ’til after the New Year. But he said he’s going to ride me like Seabiscuit since I have professional goals that rely on my personal waistline. :p

I find waiting till the New Year to reset things for myself pretty overwhelming, but I totally get why people do it.

I always figure if I can behave myself and eat healthfully (not extreme deprivation since I’m gnna eat a slice of pecan pie, LOL!) over the holiday season, then I can do it anytime. Novemebr and December are pivotal months for me to exercise self-control and confidently start the new year.

Having done “eating healthfully through the holidays” with just a serving here and there of the good stuff vs. “let’s just do this thing” I prefer the latter – I don’t feel deprived the rest of the year. In fact, I’m good and sick of naughty foods for MONTHS, at least after the detox gets itself out of the way.

I’m a weird duck, I find that the seasons (even such as they are in SoCal) affect me and my eating/energy patterns pretty strongly. In fall, I crave Vit A foods like a madwoman. Drops after the solstice. And I’m sleeping and sleeping right now. After the NY, I usually have more energy and am all kinds of motivated. It’s just silly not to use that.

I think your way is better/more sensible, I’m just surfing mine. 🙂

@ SS:

Yes, I saw your post on how you lost your most recent post-pregnancy weight by ditching the carbs pretty much altogether. For those interested:

You look great, by the way. I think I eat a decent number of carbs since I bake with almond flour every other day or so. Still a lower carb tan a regular muffin or pancake (and I keep the sugar out), but I am almost never hungry.

You have to do what works for you, as do we all. I suspect that just the differences in our body types (my hourglass/pear vs. your apple shaped) probably means our bodies respond to different nutrients and balances of nutrients in different ways. That’s not even counting our different ethnicities.

7. Robyn says:

@ Elspeth:

“You have to do what works for you, as do we all. ” Ohmygoodness, YES!

I’ve arrived at the perfect combining balance of …. Atkins/Paleo+keto/andthecabbagesoupdiet.

😉

My biggest problem is boredom. I’ve got to keep the change ups happening.

@hearthie:

I feel your pain … the best thing that ever happened to me was my failing digestion which forced me to stop eating wheat and all the delicacies that proceed out of it. Don’t get me wrong though it’s still a major struggle for me. (you know, there’s a lot you can do with PB and chocolate chips and rice cakes). — “back to basics”

I stumbled across an amazing book last year (i can’t remember if I shared it here or not) but I’ll do so again, just in case: American Women Didn’t Get Fat in the 1950s, by Averyl Hill, M.S. Lot’s of ah-ha moments.

@ seriouslyserving’

I’m munching down 1 cup of cabbage soup, left over hamburg pattie, 1/3 cup nacho flavoured ground beef. I couldn’t decide what flavour I was craving so I just mixed it all together …. it’s pretty good!

I’m not crazy minded about the cabbage soup diet stuff …. but I never realized how delicious it is! I had been seriously working out and depriving myself of almost everything for 8 months and **nothing** was happening; it was like I was “stuck” so I wanted to try something more drastic to give a little “kick-in-the-pants” to my metabolism — it worked.

Jo is so great I have a hard time imagining anyone hating her. Seriously.

I only mentioned that at all because we tend to automatically assume a person’s interest in a diet/nutrition book means they are fat when there are other reasons for examining or changing the ways we eat.

I OTOH, do need to drop 20.

I do remember the plan with all the little boxes. She just had so little weight to lose to begin with, though.

Perhaps she will weigh in at some point if she has time.

10. seriouslyserving says:

Thanks Elspeth.
    Yeah I do a bit of almond flour baking too. My favourite is low carb bagels… I’ll share the recipe later when I get to my computer.
    I don’t have time or mental space for tracking – whether carbs or calories – so I just avoid carbs as best I can. Lazy keto.